What happens if my child has an injury?


Please note all details of benefits below are subject to policy changes by the insurer and the information should be taken as guidance only.

Please note any query in relation to the club insurance must be directed, in writing, to the Club Secretary on club.secretary@enniskerryfc.ie and that no other person is authorised by the club to answer an insurance coverage query.

Accidents happen! Players collide into one another, ankles twist, heads bump together going for a ball… it’s part and parcel of playing sport. If we want the children and players in the club never to get injured, then we’d best not sign them up to any sports, because at some time or other a hamstring will be pulled, a wrist strained, a collarbone broken!

Occasionally serious injuries do occur, which is why the Club ensures that it has a back-up insurance policy in place in the event that the family of an injured player does not have VHI or other private health insurance in place.

We usually pay in the region of €2,500-€3,000 to purchase this insurance from the insurer Aviva, via a leading sports insurance broker O’Driscoll O’Neill. There are a number of cover levels available (Bronze, Silver, Gold, Platinum, Youth) – the committee of Enniskerry FC purchase Silver Cover for the club, and have found this to be a reasonable and proportionate cost with appropriate insurance benefits to a club like ours.

The club insurances are designed to cover serious injuries only and have strict limits that can only be invoked after personal medical insurance (e.g. VHI or LAYA or AVIVA, where available) has been exhausted and the procedures detailed below are followed.

The Club is happy to facilitate situations when an insurance claim may be required arising out of an injury directly linked to playing soccer in the Club.

Something we would ask families to bear in mind is that any claim on the policy may have an indirect effect on the overall Club’s renewal premium, and we would therefore ask that you ensure that you have exhausted all other insurance avenues first before submitting a claim on the Club’s policy (this is also a pre-condition of the insurer’s coverage).

At the same time while exploring other insurance avenues, please ensure that the Accident Report Form is lodged with the Secretary in the relevant time limits.

There are strict time limits & procedures imposed on the club by underwriters/the insurer, which parents, coaches and adult players should familiarise themselves with (including completion of an Accident Notification Form, notification in writing to the club secretary within 30 days of an incident taking place, and an understanding that the club’s insurance is a place of last resort rather than port of first call). This applies to underage players, coaches and adult players alike and the links below should be read as such, which are also available on the club website under the FAQs section.

Accident Report Form

The Enniskerry FC Accident Report Form can be found by clicking the sentence below that says “Enniskerry FC Accident Report Form”.

Enniskerry FC Accident Report Form

What do I need to do to see if an accident will be covered by the Club’s insurance policy?

  1.  Download and complete the Enniskerry FC Accident Report Form in full and pass to Secretary within 30 days of the accident but preferably ASAP, soft copy by email, hard copy in the post.
  2. Ensure that any treatment carried out can be certified by a doctor as being medically necessary.
  3. Retain all original receipts.
  4. Ensure that any existing private health insurance policy is exhausted first (VHI etc).

What insurance policies does the Club have?

Enniskerry FC holds two separate insurance policies.

  1. The first is called a “Public Liability” insurance policy.
  2. The second is called a “Personal Accident” insurance policy.

What is “Public Liability” Insurance?

Public Liability indemnifies the club against claims by members of the public visiting our grounds, club house and or other properties against accidental loss or injury. The key to avoiding such claims is the introduction and practice of good risk management and hazard reduction measures.

Does the Club have a “Personal Accident” Insurance Policy?

Yes it does.

Under the terms of the policy if all treatment must be certified in writing by a Doctor/GP as being medically necessary, including for Physiotherapy.

Time Limits for Notification of Accident to Secretary & Insurer

All notifications of an Accident giving rise to a potential claim on the Club’s Personal Accident insurance policy must be made to the Secretary, in writing, by completion of the club’s Accident Report Form by a responsible adult, which must be forwarded to the Club’s insurance broker within 30 (thirty) days of the date of the accident.

Effect of Failure to Notify Secretary in Writing of Accident & Impact on Coverage

Any notification made after the 30 days time-limit will require a written explanation from the Secretary to the insurance broker explaining the delay. Failure to meet this deadline may result in Insurers refusing to provide an indemnity.

Any notification made more than 60 days from the date of the injury will render the potential claim null and void as being submitted too late.

Medical Expenses | Physiotherapy | Dental Expenses

Incurred Medical Expenses: €3,500 limit (excess of €175 or 10% of total medical costs submitted whichever is the greater and is inclusive of a maximum claim of €250 for Physiotherapy certified by a doctor).

So the maximum reimbursed by the insurance company for Physiotherapy (assuming that any other private health insurance policy had already been claimed against) would in fact be €75 (i.e. €250 max claim -€175 policy excess) assuming that €250 of physiotherapy receipts had been incurred, and that no other medical expenses were paid for. If less than €175 of Physiotherapy receipts is incurred then there would be no allowance/reimbursement made by the insurance company (as the amount being claimed would be less than the standard policy excess of €175, which is effectively the amount that the individual has to bear themselves).

Medical expenses are payable for 12 months from the date of first treatment and are irrecoverable expenses only. This means that if a player holds VHI, LAYA or some other private health insurance policy, then a claim MUST be pursued under that policy first before Enniskerry FC’s Personal Accident Club Choice policy will become relevant. The Club’s insurance policy should be viewed as the policy of last resort, not first call.

Emergency Dental Expenses: €500 limit (excess of €175). Cover for emergency dental treatment is for work done within 48 hous of the acident.

Other Personal Accident Policy Benefits

  • Death: €80,000 limit.
  • Loss of limb: €80,000 limit.
  • Loss of eye: €80,000 limit.
  • Permanent Total Disablement: €80,000 limit.
  • Temporary Total Disablement: up to €300 limit per week, further details upon request